Friday, March 14, 2014

Review on The Ghost Box

Have you ever gotten something that you were told never to open? It could've been a present before Christmas or it could be an heirloom. You've all seen the movies where the girl opens the door when you know something is hiding behind it and she's gonna die. We all think we have the common sense not to do something like that in real life, but what if curiosity wins? What if you want to open Pandora's box just to see what happens? In The Ghost Box by Catherine Fisher, Sarah opens a box that releases something that wants her help.

The Ghost Box

Format: Paperback
Pub. Date: January 1st, 2012
Summary:
A young girl must unlock the secret to a mysterious box to protect herself from an unwanted visitor. Thrilling ghost story.
My rating: 4 out of 5 boxes!
My recommendation: Anyone who wants a short, supernatural book!
My review:
My copy was provided by Netgalley.
Sarah is going through a difficult time in her life. As well as being a tween, she has to deal with growing up and with her mother marrying a new man. While her new step-father is okay, his son is absolutely horrid. Matt is a Goth and is always mean to Sarah and ignores her. She doesn't believe she can live with this guy and hates this new marriage.
After going to an art exhibit, Sarah's life takes a turn to the strange. When she went to bed, she didn't expect to see a tree growing right in her room, but when she wakes up, everything has changed. She doesn't know if she's hallucinating, dreaming, or if the tree is real. But when the tree disappears and in its place is a mysterious box, Sarah knows she must open the box to solve the mystery. Sarah must realize if she should keep the box closed or if she should suffer the consequences of opening it.
This book was a fast-paced, short book. It felt like it was over the minute I started. Even though the book was short, it was still filled with action and intrigue. My attention was immediately grabbed the moment I started the book and I absolutely had to finish it. I read the book in just one sitting, and I couldn't put it down. I just had to know what happened to Sarah and Matt.
This book was entertaining and kept me interested the whole time. If I was a reluctant reader, this book would definitely make me want to read more. This book seemed very relatable. Many people have parents who have spilt up and married other people. Numerous people have had to dealt with a stepbrother or sister they didn't like. Many could relate to the feelings Sarah felt and the book also created a solution to this problem.
The author doesn't just give Sarah's side to the story, but Matt's as well. Both Sarah and Matt didn't want the marriage, but for them to solve the mystery, they had to work together to get the problem solved. This helped them realize that whether or not they chose the marriage, they'd have to deal with each other no matter what.
I enjoyed the book and it was a good break from the heavy books I've been reading. It kept me entertained the whole time and it made me want to read other books by Fisher just because I like her writing style so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment