Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Review on Runes

I have another review coming your way so sit back and relax as I tell you all about this book and why I think it's amazing!
And this amazing book is... Runes by Ednah Walters

Runes (Runes, #1) Runes (Runes, #1)

Format: Paperback/kindle book
Pub. Date: May 20th, 2013
Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Raine Cooper has enough on her plate dealing with her father’s disappearance, her mother’s erratic behavior and the possibility of her boyfriend relocating. The last thing she needs is Torin St. James—a mysterious new neighbor with a wicked smile and uncanny way of reading her.

Raine is drawn to Torin’s dark sexiness against her better judgment, until he saves her life with weird marks and she realizes he is different. But by healing her, Torin changes something inside Raine. Now she can’t stop thinking about him. Half the time, she’s not sure whether to fall into his arms or run.

Scared, she sets out to find out what Torin is. But the closer she gets to the truth the more she uncovers something sinister about Torin. What Torin is goes back to an ancient mythology and Raine is somehow part of it. Not only are she and her friends in danger, she must choose a side, but the wrong choice will cost Raine her life.

My rating: 4 out of 5 runes!
My review:
My copy was provided to me by Netgalley.
The good:
I loved the mythology of this book, the characters, and the plot! The Norse mythology really enthralled me and I wanted to learn more. I'm sure the sequel (I hope there is one soon) will include a ton more of this mythology.
Next, the characters. Raine, the main character, didn't strike me as much of an interesting character. Her emotions were always all over the place and at times, she annoyed me. But I loved Cora and Torin! Cora is an amazing friend who is a vlogger and guy-obsessed, but this book made sure to include her issues and her feelings as well. She isn't just a sidekick whose problems are never expressed. She felt real to me and I wish I had a friend like her.
Now Torin. Basically, all I need to say is that I loved him. It didn't help that he's HOT, at least, that's what the book made me think. His multiple shirtless scenes almost made me drool as much as Raine. He isn't just the hot guy though. He cares about what Raine thinks and doesn't care what anyone thinks about him.
He rides a Harley, makes a big appearance wherever he goes, and he's so sexy. He's a snarky bad-boy with a heart. He wants to protect Raine and her family, no matter the consequences. Though maybe he should have listened to his head more because the repercussions of his actions were immense.
Torin can act like a jerk at times, but he's just trying to protect Raine, even if he can't help himself at times.
The bad:
I did not like how Raine kind of just stringed Eirik along. She finally got her best friend for years to be her boyfriend and she should've been ecstatic. But no. Even though she had got what she had always wanted when she had been in love with Eirik for years without expressing it, she fell for Torin.
I know she couldn't help who she fell in love with, but she should have talked to Eirik about her feelings. She should've broken up with him from the start. Yet she kept getting jealous of Torin and using Eirik to try to make Torin jealous. She got mad at Torin for kissing another girl so she kisses a guy in front of him. Not cool. She needed to get her feelings in check and should've stopped stringing Eirik along the moment Torin came into the picture. Love triangles, I dislike you.
The ending also annoyed me. It seemed as if it went way too fast for me and it took a bit for it to sink in. And that cliffhanger. It made me want to scream. I can't wait to read the second book; I want it so much!
If the hot guy isn't enough for you, the plot and mythology make this book amazing. I will definitely be reading the sequel and I hope there's even more Torin!

No comments:

Post a Comment