Thursday, December 15, 2011

What Time Is It? Not Adventure Time! Review Time!

Okay, I have a review that I couldn't freaking wait to post! I read this awesome book (though it had a few drawbacks, but I hope somebody else enjoys it as well!

Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey.
First off, look at the cover! It's freaking beautiful! I fell in love with this book when I saw the cover!
Shattered Souls B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L right? It's awesome!
Summary!
 A thrilling debut story of death, love, destiny and danger

Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries.
Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon.

Hardcover, 336 pages
Published December 8th 2011 by Philomel/Penguin

This idea, while ghosts have been used numerous times, is totally new with the soul sharing and the bogeyman. There's not really a whole lot of action though with the bad guy Mr. Smith, the whole conflict is resolved in a matter of pages. But, this book was funny too! I loved Lenzi's sarcasm, Alden's whole personality made me fall in love with him, and I love it how Lenzi calls all the ghosts bogeymen or bogeybaby. It just sounds so amusing and funny to me, you never hear about a book with the bogeyman in it. Lenzi has a love for origami which you definitely don't usually hear about in books. We need more of it! I love this refreshing, new book! It's basically original except for a few exceptions.

One thing though is that this book is very similar to Angel Fire where the girl is a reincarnation who doesn't remember her past lives as an evil hunter and has friends who knew her from her past lives. However, that is where the similarities basically end. Lenzi doesn't want to be Rose of her past lives, she is her own person.

Without any memories, Lenzi could start off on a brand new start and not be the frigid *itch that Rose was. The romance felt agonizingly slow, but wanting to see whether Lenzi and Alden ever got together made you waiting for the end. Also, the jealousy with Zak was so good! I love to read about jealousy, it makes me squeal (don't tell anyone else that). The ending itself held a ton of surprises, but it ended on a fair note. If there is a sequel to this book, I am definitely going to read it.
4.5 Stars out of five! It was awesome! Read it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's the full jacket of the book. The cover goes off to the back of the book which is so pretty! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment