Saturday, April 19, 2014

Review on Cracks in the Kingdom

What if you are a princess (or prince) of a kingdom? What if you could one day rule over everyone you know? But what if no one has ever heard of this kingdom? That's right, the kingdom exists in a whole other world, a world that no one knows about. And you don't even remember that world. All your memories of being a princess have been erased and you're living on Earth without ever knowing that you're royalty from a whole new world. That would suck, right?
I read... The Cracks in the Kingdom by Jaclyn Moriarty!
WARNING- SEQUEL!

The Cracks in the Kingdom (The Colours of Madeleine, #2)

Format: Hardcover/e-book
Pub. Date: March 25th, 2014
Summary:
The second in Jaclyn Moriarty's brilliant, acclaimed fantasy trilogy, THE COLORS OF MADELEINE!

Princess Ko's been bluffing about the mysterious absence of her father, desperately trying to keep the government running on her own. But if she can't get him back in a matter of weeks, the consequence may be a devastating war. So under the guise of a publicity stunt she gathers a group of teens -- each with a special ability -- from across the kingdom to crack the unsolvable case of the missing royals of Cello.

Chief among these is farm-boy heartthrob Elliot Baranski, more determined than ever to find his own father. And with the royal family trapped in the World with no memory of their former lives, Elliot's value to the Alliance is clear: He's the only one with a connection to the World, through his forbidden communications with Madeleine.

Through notes, letters, and late nights, Elliot and Madeleine must find a way to travel across worlds and bring missing loved ones home. The stakes are high, and the writing by turns hilarious and suspenseful, as only Jaclyn Moriarty can be.

My rating: 4 out of 5 Colors!
My recommendation: Anyone who loves books set in England and other worlds!
My review:
My copy was provided by Netgalley.
Elliot and Madeleine are still communicating with letters that travel between their worlds. But their friendship has become even more important than they ever realized. If they can find a way to stretch the crack between them, they can travel to and from their worlds. They need to do this so that Princess Ko can finally find her family that mysteriously disappeared into the World. Her family doesn't remember anything about their past lives as royalty, but Ko is determined to get them to remember. But three problems are in the way of solving this mystery. Elliot still wants to find his father, Elliot's and Madeleine's relationship is forbidden, and no one knows if Princess Ko's family is even going to remember her if the crack stretches. Elliot and Madeleine must work together to save Ko's family or Ko may never see her parents or siblings again.
I loved the first book and I absolutely couldn't wait for this one! I wanted to know more about Elliot's world and I wanted to know the history of if. The first book left plenty of answers unknown, but the second book definitely answered them.
I love Moriarty's style of writing. It's simplistic without getting too complicated when an alternate world is introduced. This book is hilarious with some laugh-out-loud moments and moments where you just wanted to swoon. I couldn't stop reading this book because I just had to know what happened next.
The world building was excellent and Moriarty weaved some threads and sub-plots that didn't seem to be that important, but were actually important. She made everything come together and it was awesome how much everything made sense in the end.
This book didn't make me confused or need to re-read some parts. The explanations about the differences between the two worlds made sense and it didn't leave me lost at all. The worlds drew me in and I had to know more about them. Moriarty drew me in and I couldn't stop reading. She built everything up to an explosive ending that I had no clue was going to happen. I was so shocked at the ending and now I really want to read the third book. I just have to know what happens next!
This book is so original without being confusing. I loved how the creativity just blossomed within the book. Things you wouldn't expect in an ordinary book happened in The Cracks in the Kingdom. You never knew what to expect and that made the book come to life. The humor kept me interested and the plot twists have left me dying for me. I definitely want to read the third book and learn more about how the worlds might come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment